23 February 2009

And I'm Back...Alphabet Book

I'm back. I got lazy. A little sick, a little tired, a little more lazy.... but i'm back!


Here's the details from my last post.
Started that day off writing practice alphabets with the reed pens from class (and a few more I made that morning) and ended up ten or so hours later with this, a book (but not its' box) start to finish, in one day*:








So, it's just an entire alphabet. You should see the stack of mistakes I've got - they're really not mistakes for the most part, just letters that didn't come out how I want them. I've gotta figure out something fun to do with them, but anyways, I really like this book. It was a total fluff project, just practicing my handwriting, but I like it. Definitely somewhat inspired by Laura Davidson's work, or at least I have to shout her out because she uses a lot of ink writing in her work and it's really beautiful.

The book is SUPER long - the last photo, I think I'm holding the A over my head, and you can see that it hits the floor at only M. Gotta make a box for it, deciding between a slipcase and a box - but i've been playing with transparencies and I think that may come into play with whatever form the box takes...

On crappy strathmore pad medium weight run of the mill watercolor paper, torn down to two and a quarter by three inches. Letters written with handcarved reed pens with dr. Phil Martins peacock blue ink, watered down. Single sheets were bound with strips of decorative paper. The cover is decorated with blown ink.

More posts tonight.



*note: this is the first time i have done that, you know, make an entire book in one day like that, in probably two, maybe three, years.

3 comments:

rayray said...

yew rewl!!!

Rattfink Press said...

but can i swim in yer pewl or are u 2 kewl???

melanie aurora said...

i'm gonna use this instead of sending my children to skewl!

More

LINKS: Eating A Hobo - Spool Spectrum - This Moi - Wasted Youth Sound System - Weekend Party Update - Besty Q. Bramble - Todo Mundo - Rogue Femme Art - Holy Craft! Fair
Creative Commons License
This work by Rattfink Press/Ellen Arnstein is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License

Free Blog Counter