23 February 2009

More Calligraphy

More calligraphy, sorry if it's boring. Worked with reed pens again today in class (although none of the ones I made, the teacher carved these and although I modified the two I used a bit, there was quite a difference from those that I had carved myself - interesting? Maybe.) working with uncial letters - apparently the half step from capital script to a lower case script that developed through everyday quick, sloppy writing, which was then perfected by scribes to be used in proper texts.

Anyways, it was fun - I really love this class and working with these pens, I can't wait to see how I like working with metal nibs again when it comes up in class. When I get into it, it's so easy for me to understand how scribes and illuminators could spend the time writing these letters to produce the incredible texts they wrote. At points, I'd draw a letter and it would look like it came off a page of parchment in a book of days or something, and it's like - wow, this isn't impossible! But it is a skill, and it requires time, and thus, I love it.

Here's a bunch of details, sorry they're all so gray, I'm too lazy to scan these things.






No comments:

More

LINKS: Eating A Hobo - Spool Spectrum - This Moi - Wasted Youth Sound System - Weekend Party Update - Besty Q. Bramble - Todo Mundo - Rogue Femme Art - Holy Craft! Fair
Creative Commons License
This work by Rattfink Press/Ellen Arnstein is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License

Free Blog Counter